If you live in Toronto, you are probably either loving the current 32 degree heat, or hating it. I have gathered 5 tips to help you cool down during the heat wave.
- Take a warm bath or shower! A cold shower may sound tempting, but your body generates heat afterwards to compensate for the heat loss.
- Eat light! Eat small light meals throughout the day. Be sure to include lots of fresh veggies and fruits. The larger the meal, the more metabolic heat your body creates to break down the food.
- Stay hydrated! Dehydration can cause headaches, dizziness, weakness and overall sluggishness. According to Carolyn Dean, MD, ND and author of The Magnesium Miracle, "When you sweat, you don't just lose water but you deplete your body of minerals”. Drink up to 8 glasses of water. Coconut water is an amazing thirst quencher. It is also full of minerals such as magnesium and potassium that your body depletes of while sweating. Stay away from sugary soda and alcohol, as they will dehydrate you even more.
- Eat cooling foods! Juicy foods are your best bet such as various melons, especially watermelons. Containing 92% water watermelon will not only quench your thirst on a hot day, but also fill you up with nutrients and give you a healthy sugar boost. Also try adding fresh mint leaves to your salads and your drinks.
- Spray yourself! - Keep a water spray bottle in the fridge. When you’re feeling hot, mist your face and neck a few times with the cold water for instant relief. To get even more benefits, replace the water with rose water. You can buy this at any grocery store.
Stay cool everyone!