Wholesome Winter Stews are the best meals for a cold chilly day. I don’t have a set recipe for my stews, they are all unique depending on what I have in my fridge. For this stew, I decided to grill peppers and eggplants before adding them into the stew. The grill adds more flavor into the stew without needing any extra additives.
You can also make the stew vegetarian by replacing the beef with cubes of tempeh. Experiment with it and let me know how it goes.
- 2 cups stew beef chunks OR 2 cups chopped tempeh
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 eggplant
- ½ cup barley
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 2 tbsp organic tomato paste
- Bunch of chopped fresh parsley
- Salt, pepper, cayenne to taste
- Slice and grill the peppers and eggplant in a panini presser, or in the oven.
- Put the beef chunks or the tempeh in a large pot, add some oil or ghee, let it sauté a bit.
- Add water up to ¾ of the pot.
- Add all the other ingredients including the vegetables, but not the parsley.
- Bring to boil and cook until the barley is fully cooked.
- Add chopped parsley, enjoy!