A few weeks ago, I attended a raw cooking class at Cruda Cafe and got really inspired by raw cuisine. Claudia was amazing at explaining the different stages of disease and how a raw diet can aid in healing and allow our body to restore itself naturally.
Let me get this straight, you don’t have to be a raw vegan to enjoy a raw diet once in a while. All you need is the curiousity and the open mind to try something new.
Tips on eating raw foods for beginners:
- Eat at least one fresh raw vegetable/ leafy green salad daily.
- Replace your morning coffee with a glass of freshly squeezed green juice. (Juice bars nowadays are in abundance in Toronto just as much as coffee shops are.) You will feel refreshed, energized and ready to start your day!
For the below recipe I literally took all the vegetables I could find in my fridge and chopped them nicely into a bowl. Feel free to use your own choice of vegetables. The ‘fahita’ wraps I purchased at Cruda Cafe. They make them fresh in their dehydrator, all raw, all vegan. I encourage you to try this recipe, and pay attention to how you feel afterwards. I will talk more about the benefits of raw foods in my upcoming blogs.
The ‘Filling’ - veggie mish mash: (enough for 6 fahitas)
- 1 beet
- 1 small carrot
- ½ onion
- Green or red peppers
- Slightly blanched asparagus
- Mint leaves
- Parsley, cilantro or any other fresh herb
- Ground flax seeds
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Sprouts of your choice
- Sea salt to taste
- Chop everything except the asparagus and sprouts.
- Grade the beets and carrots.
- Mix in a bowl and set aside.
The ‘Dressing’ - Garlicky Guacamole:
- 1 Avocado
- ¼ onion
- 1 garlic clove
- Fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt to taste
- Easy! Chop everything and blend.
- If you don’t have a blender, simply mash it all with a fork.
The ‘Fahita’ - Dehydrated sun dried tomato wraps:
- You can purchase these at Cruda Cafe in St Lawrence market, or at any health food store.
- Spread the guacamole on the wrap.
- Lay a couple of asparagus stems on the guacamole.
- Fill the wrap with your chopped vegetables and top it up with sprouts.
Let me know how you feel after this raw meal :).